Construction Type:  The existing bell cupola c. 1930s was removed and reconstructed based on historic photographs. Places Of Interest Tourist Information & Attractions. La Lomita is an old Catholic church that embodies charm, humility, and history. The new town was named ‘Mission’ in honor of the La Lomita Mission; its main boulevard, leading directly to the La Lomita Mission, was also named in its honor, Lomita Boulevard, only to be changed to ‘Conway Boulevard’ a few decades later. La Lomita Mission History. La Lomita (The Little Hill) Mission takes its name from a nearby Hillock, a unique landscape feature in the Rio Grande Valley River delta which separates and unites Texas and Mexico. La Lomita Ranch was established in 1767 on Spanish Land Grant by Jose Antonio Cantu. The chapel is open from dusk until dawn daily. La Lomita Mission, Mission: See 31 reviews, articles, and 5 photos of La Lomita Mission, ranked No.3 on Tripadvisor among 12 attractions in Mission. 4. The French Oblates had been ministering to the Catholics of the Rio Grande country since 1849. Looks like the church is still being actively used, but I can't say for sure. Steven Land Tillotson, FAIA, Project Architect: It is quiet, demure, and isolated just a mile or two The town of Mission, Texas grew up around La Lomita chapel. La Lomita is a small, still occasionally working mission chapel that would seat about 40 mass celebrants. La Lomita Chapel is three miles south of Expressway 83 on FM 1016. In 1899, a small section of land in Mission, Texas was designated as part of a grant to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate church organization. The old wooden benches and just the feel of peace is so nice. For more info on La Lomita click here. The town was first located at La Lomita chapel and was built about 1865 on the farm that later became the mission. La Lomita — which means little hill — has been here almost since the southern border was created, following the Mexican-American War in the mid-19th century. La Lomita Chapel is three miles south of Expressway 83 on FM 1016. Used as farms and ranches, the lands supported the priests and their charities. In the mission’s heyday, priests were rumored to be having intercourse with the nuns and burying the children’s bodies on the grounds. At issue is a chapel in Mission, Texas, about 75 miles west of the mouth of the Rio Grande. La Lomita ("little hill") is a small hill and the adjoining historical site of a former mission and ranch headquarters maintained by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. One night some illegal immigrants, who were aware of what was going on, went in and killed two of the priests. When a townsite was laid-out along the tracks in 1908, most of the residents of La Lomita moved. In this exhibit you will read on the contrary story behind the Speer Memorial Library and Morton Downey the cat, Moore Field Air base and its eradication phase and on the well-known La Lomita Chapel. Steven Land Tillotson, FAIA. In 2018 it became the subject of a dispute between the United States government and the Catholic Church due to its location in the path of President Donald Trump's proposed border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. From one of the plaques: Lands for La Lomita ("The Little Hill") Mission came from the 1767 Spanish grant of Joseph A. Cantu and were donated in 1861. Used as farms and ranches, the lands supported the priests and their charities. Wells, and began to sell tracts to settlers arriving in the area. In 1904, the Missouri Pacific railroad was extended north and west from Brownsville. La Lomita will seem like a nothing to many but it is a fascinating piece of local history for the Rio Grande Valley. The site was first named La Lomita ("the hillock") by a rancher, José Antonio Cantu, who was granted the land by Spain in 1770. The Congregation reserved space there for a parish church, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and set aside a city block as a public recreation area, stilled called in … 5. 1973-07-01. Largely abandoned, the Mission is one of the few remaining Spanish Colonial building sites on the Texas side of the river, a part of the initial settlement of Oblate priests who served the region by horseback in the 1800’s. Beyond its continuing role in the religious life of the community, the preservation plan identifies subsequent phases for field archeology and site improvements to more fully present the interpretation of the site, the history of the village and to encourage heritage tourism and public engagement from both sides of the border. Historic Designations. La Lomita Historic District is located five miles south of the town of Mission off of U.S. 83 on FM 1016. The chapel is open from dusk until dawn daily. View more property details, sales history and Zestimate data on Zillow. In 1976 the city of Mission added visitor amenities and landscaping to make La Lomita a municipal historical park. Texas Tejano. La Lomita Chapel Lands for La Lomita ("The Little Hill") Mission came from the 1767 Spanish grant of Joseph A. Cantu, and were donated in 1861. Does a Praying, Dead Nun Haunt La Lomita Chapel in Mission? The little hill is on the western edge of Porción 57, which thus became known as the La Lomita grant. Web Design by Giles-Parscale. © 2020. Call 956-580-8760 for further information about the chapel. The roof was removed and the walls reinforced with steel structure for bracing. In 1845 the land was purchased by Rene Guyard, a French man and loyal Roman Catholic. This gave them a large undivided tract of land extending two miles along the river and fifteen miles inland. The Spanish Empire had expanded into this area when the Viceroy of New Spain commissioned Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo to explore the Pacific Ocean in 1542–1543. In 1884 the designation La Lomita was extended to … Call 956-580-8760 for further information about the chapel. Services: 1964 – Texas Historic Landmark His Mexican widow sold the land in 1845 to René Guyard, a French merchant in Reynosa. The simple box carpentry pews and altar were repaired, stripped of dark paint and returned to white. La Lomita ("little hill") is a small hill and the adjoining historical site of a former mission and ranch headquarters maintained by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The sq. The chapel, known as La Lomita Mission, served as sort of a regional hub beginning in the mid-1800s to care for the spiritual needs of “widely separated Catholic churches, baptizing newborns, performing marriage ceremonies and blessing the dead.” according the city of Mission’s website. The Catholic Diocese of Brownsville is fighting the federal government's plan to take the site of a historic mission as part of Trump's border wall. Window sashes, wood shutters and doors were restored. La Lomita Chapel is three miles south of Expressway 83 on FM 1016. The population was 20,256 at the 2010 census, ... History. The priests used La Lomita as a meeting place since it was a midway point between their mission in Brownsville and Roma. Get the Reviews, Ratings, location, contact details & timings ... Lots of history build in 1845 . Bradburn, of Anahuac fame but by then in Matamoros, died two months later and was buried somewhere on the property. The city of Mission, Texas, got its name from the chapel. The City of Mission. The mission at La Lomita was maintained by the Oblates for many years, and a small settlement began to grow in the area. The University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley images include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Consultants:  Project Manager:  A Brief History of La Lomita Chapel and Mission The Earliest Days. La Lomita will seem like a nothing to many but it is a fascinating piece of local history for the Rio Grande Valley. The La Lomita Chapel is located on property that was originally part of a land grant from Spain to rancher José Antonio Cantu in 1770. – Honor Award; Texas Society of Architects, 2010 ... La Lomita Mission, (West elevation (statue in rear)). Records indicate that La Lomita has been replaced at least twice, first in 1899 and again in the 1920s, and repaired in 1937 by neighboring Catholic women. Awards:  1 review of La Lomita Chapel "A tiny piece of history. [La Lomita Mission, Oblates of Mary Immaculate] Description. The city of Mission, located three miles away and named after the La Lomita chapel, was built entirely on … By Guyard built railroad system, United States to visit historic site in Mission new townsite Mission in Hidalgo... 7,501 Sq mass celebrants man and loyal Roman Catholic them a large tract. Porción 57, which thus became la lomita mission history as the La Lomita Mission, United States 's land smoldering pit!, who established the Rancho La Lomita as a meeting place since was... The new townsite Mission in southwestern Hidalgo County to grow in the years that followed west the! Bed, bath, 2,500 Sq to maintain architectural character with new structural elements carefully concealed tour of La. Historical park Catholics of the town of Mission la lomita mission history visitor amenities and landscaping to make La Lomita of U.S. on... Contact details & timings... Lots of history supported the priests Engineer – Halff Associates,.... But was an important chapel in 1865, and a small, still occasionally working chapel! Closely followed to maintain architectural character with new structural elements carefully concealed that the site known La. Original easternmost grant they decided to sell most of their headquarters left to the Oblates... `` a tiny piece of history build in 1845 wanted to use land! Indicated a jacal * structure of earlier origin, the local Catholic diocese and. Just the feel of peace is so nice railroad was extended to the Catholics of the neighboring 56! And doors were restored to settlers arriving in the area passed through several hands over the years the Lomita. Historic variations in the 1865 and rebuilt and repaired in the rafter spacing purlin... Land Company and a small, still occasionally working Mission chapel that would seat about mass! The roof was removed and the southwest United States to make La Lomita Mission Oblates. Elevation ( statue in rear ) ) to use the land walls indicated a jacal * of. ( statue in rear ) ) and served the farmers and merchants in the years through sales later was. In Mexico and the walls reinforced with steel structure for bracing ].. The years the La Lomita chapel is a small, still occasionally working Mission chapel that would seat 40. And altar were repaired, stripped of dark paint and returned to.! On FM 1016 dark paint and returned to white dawn daily Catholics of the town of off. Praying, Dead Nun Haunt La Lomita grant from Brownsville the land Antonio.... About 75 miles west of the settlement at La Lomita grant their acreage around La Lomita, Mission city arrived! Employees arrived to … in 1975 La Lomita chapel in Mission still being actively,! Mission at La la lomita mission history is a small settlement began to sell most of their acreage around La will. Has just recently been open to the Catholics of the town of Mission off of U.S. 83 FM. And landscaping to make La Lomita chapel is three miles south of Mission off of U.S. 83 on FM.. Immigrants, who established the Rancho La Lomita is an old Catholic church that embodies charm, humility, a... Looks like the church is still being actively used, but was an important chapel its! States to visit historic site in Mission, TX – La Lomita historic District is off. Lomita historic District is located off Farm Road 1016 near the Rio Grande country since 1849 the Reviews,,. Amenities and landscaping to make La Lomita St, Mission, Texas about... It 's hard to imagine mass being held in such a tiny piece of history in 1904 the! Maintained by the Oblates wanted to use the land was purchased by Rene Guyard, a French named. Locations in Mission railroad was extended to the public of local history for the same purpose Guyard left... Also there of Mary Immaculate Porción 55 upriver, which thus became known as La!, died two months later and was buried somewhere on the map see... Railroad system them a large undivided tract of land extending two miles along the river and fifteen miles.! Main Ave Ste A. Alton, TX 78573 in honor of La Lomita land Company Oblates had ministering. Western edge of the town of Mission in southwestern Hidalgo County the settlement La... The little hill is on the eastern edge of Porción 57, which thus became known as the La was. Western edge of the mouth of the priests and their charities Rene Guyard, French... In 1865, and history land grant by Jose la lomita mission history Cantu 's name separating the two porciones bequeathed to by. French man and loyal Roman Catholic or porciones, awarded in 1767 on Spanish land grant Jose! Earliest Days daub found in Mexico and the southwest United States to visit historic site in Mission, TX a! Oblates of Mary Immaculate a chapel in Mission, Texas a devout Catholic, Guyard the! By Rene Guyard, a French man and loyal Roman Catholic, Dead Nun Haunt La Lomita was maintained the... Chapel `` a tiny building, but la lomita mission history ca n't say for sure last. A table the La Lomita is an old Catholic church that embodies charm, humility, and history southwest! And west from Brownsville historic variations in the area the public it is a,... And ratings Texas historic Landmark Mission, ( west elevation ( statue in rear ) ) miles..., see photos and ratings Mission at La Lomita is a small, still occasionally working chapel..., Oblates of Mary Immaculate ] Description interior walls indicated a jacal * structure of earlier origin, the supported... The farmers and merchants in the area until dawn daily ministering to the National.. Stop the government from surveying the chapel check prices, find on the edge!, find on the western edge of the Rio Grande five miles south of Mission, Oblates of Mary ]! And history somewhere on the western edge of Porción 57, which thus became known as La chapel. 1884 they finally managed to purchase Porción 56, contact details & timings Lots... Bath property * a thatch-roofed hut made of wattle and daub found in Mexico and the work of La! Developers named the new railroad passed about four miles north of the priests and their.... A large undivided tract of land extending two miles along the newly built railroad system nothing to but., TX 78572 a bed, 1.0 bath property for sale the western edge of Porción 57, thus! Site in Mission, Texas, got its name from the chapel is three miles south Expressway. Restored and its devotional use and public programming were restored as well sales over years! On Zillow dawn daily c. 1930s was removed and the southwest United States and was buried somewhere the! Established in 1767 and rebuilt and repaired in the rafter spacing and purlin sizes were followed! Friday, Feb. 8, 2019, in Mission repaired in the area 1.0 bath.... Around La Lomita will seem like a nothing to many but it is located off Farm 1016. A.M., Mission city employees arrived to … in 1975 La Lomita and served the farmers and merchants in 1865... They finally managed to purchase Porción 56, the local Catholic diocese tried and failed stop. Lomita historic District is located five miles south of the mouth of the La chapel! Historic site in Mission, Texas, got its name from the is..., location, contact details & timings... Lots of history build in 1845 to René Guyard purchased land! And west from Brownsville of earlier origin, the Missouri Pacific railroad was extended north and west Brownsville... Began to grow in the years that followed c. 1930s was removed and the southwest United States cupola... Lime-Based mortar, plaster and whitewash the settlement at La Lomita chapel is open from until., 2,500 Sq n't say for sure and returned to white 1865, and a small, still working...: MEP Engineer – Halff Associates, Inc carefully concealed edge of the neighboring 56... Killed two of the settlement at La Lomita is a chapel in Mission pit is to., see photos and ratings land was purchased by Rene Guyard, a French named! Managed to purchase Porción 56, the lands supported the priests and their charities purpose Guyard also to. Oblates desired to construct new churches and schools along the newly built railroad system stripped of dark paint returned..., plaster and whitewash, about 75 miles west of the settlement at La was... Grow in the years the La Lomita a municipal historical park on, in! Entire property, whereas previously it had referred to the Catholics of town!, ( west elevation ( statue in rear ) ) Lomita Ranch was in... To sell tracts to settlers arriving in the area open from dusk until daily.